Come and Work with Us
Senior Full Stack Software Developer
Rural Senses is a next-generation data company. With NLP-Enhanced data analysis and the “Uber of data collection”, Rural Senses mission is to bring over a billion of people that are currently under the global social and economic radar to a meaningful place in the global value chains. Rural Senses collects and analyses data at scale and depth in rural and remote communities to provide meaningful insights into communities’ needs, motivators and willingness to pay. Our platform helps NGOs, governments and businesses to find new markets, build sustainable and profitable projects, and to rigorously evaluate impact.
Founded in 2019 as a spinoff of a research at the University of Cambridge, Rural Senses is already serving leading international clients, was selected for the Microsoft AI for Good 2020 Programme and Pears Program for Global innovation, and was recognized by leading practitioners as a leading solution. Our small team is global and diverse, most of the work is done remotely or in the field. Our work environment is flexible and supportive.
About the position
To support our growth, we seek a passionate and experienced Full Stack Developer to work alongside NLP, business and sustainability professionals and lead the software development process. In addition to leading the backend and frontend implementation of our unique data platform, in this role you will also work closely with clients and users to understand needs and translate them to technology requirements. This is a leadership role and you are expected to take an active role in the company strategic decision making process. As the team grows, you will manage a team of developers and designers.
Technology and Research
Rural Senses is developing state-of-the-art Deep Learning and GIS technologies (see an example here). As part of your role you will lead the integration of our proprietary algorithms and will interact closely with AI, GIS and ML experts.
Rural Senses partners with world leading research institutes such as the Language Technology Lab at the University of Cambridge, the University of Oxford and more. As a senior software developer you will have the chance to participate in the research conducted and become a co-author in the papers we publish.
- Work on all components of our software, from data integration and server-side algorithmic work to front end implementation
- Develop software solutions by studying software design specifications; conferring with users; studying systems flow, data usage, and work processes; investigating problem areas; following the software development life cycle.
- Create new features and functionality based on user stories and behavior.
- Prepare and execute long term product roadmaps from a strategic point of view.
- Connection to Rural Senses’ mission and a passion to making a positive impact
- At least 6 years experience in software development
- Experience building and maintaining widely-used, user-friendly software from both the front and back end
- Experienced with as many as possible of the following technologies:
- Flask/Django – python 3
- React + Redux
- Azure Cosmos-db
- Mongoengine + pymongo
- Azure web app service
- Experience leading agile software development cycles
- Previous experience building POC or product/service from the ground up – advantage
- Experience working with and implementing NLP algorithms – strong advantage
- Team player – no (or little) ego
- Independent thinker
- Ability to cope with change and uncertainty
- Comfortable with remote work
- Great English speaking and writing skills
- Ability and willingness to travel to and work in developing countries when required
- Multicultural and international experience – strong advantage
We offer a competitive compensation package and in addition to a salary you will receive:
- Performance-based bonuses
- Significant company shares/options plan
To apply please fill in the form below and mention the job title in the message.
Don’t find a position that fits you? We are always looking for talented, creative and passionate people to join our team. Just leave us your contact information and we will get in touch with you as soon as we can.